Totally an old-school favourite you find kids munching on everywhere. But the ones you get in the “health food aisle” are about HALF added/processed sugar. That is NOT a nutritious food! These homemade, whole-food bites are loaded with nutrients and absolutely zero refined sugar. Outside of the snack zone, these are a neat way to mix-up your pre-training nutrition.
Either way – time to get in the kitchen!
Makes 24 pieces
- 50g whole almonds
- 200g dried apricots
- 4 Tbsp citrus juice (orange/lemon as preferred)
- 70g shredded coconut
- 3Tbsp psyllium/wheatgerm (or combo)
- Desiccated coconut – for rolling
- Using a high-powered blender*, blitz the almonds to almond meal consistency.
- Add apricots and blend again to make a rough mix
- Add the citrus juice and allow to soak before adding in the wheatgerm or psyllium.
- Lastly add the shredded coconut, and transfer your mixture to the prepared tray. Press down firmly with the back of a spatula, and refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into squares.
- Once cut in squares, roll in desiccated coconut and store refrigerated for a few weeks.
*If you don’t have a blender to do this, then you can use 50g almond meal –> just be aware that you miss the nutrients + fibre from the skins of the nuts when you do this. That is valuable!!