The choice for protein bars in the supermarket is slim if you’re after something minimally processed…
Either you have a bar that calls itself a protein bar (but with virtually no protein), or you have one that IS high protein but it’s full of ingredients you don’t recognise…and that’s not something you want to have on high rotation.
Enter our Dark choc + almond protein bar! The key to having this turn out, is not cooking it for longer than 15mins…otherwise they will get a little dry. It will look undercooked when you pull it out – that’s okay, it’s far from it 🙂
- Black beans – 1 tin, drained + rinsed
- Cocoa powder (or cacao – it doesn’t matter) – 3 Tbsp
- Natural whey protein concentrate* – 80g
- Chobani/Rokeby Farms natural high-protein yoghurt (0%) – 150g
- Eggs – 1 whole, 2 whites
- Macadamia nut oil – 3 tbsp
- Honey – ¼ cup
- Vanilla – 2 tsp
- Bi-carb soda – ½ tsp
- Fine-grain iodised salt – ¼ tsp
- 70% dark chocolate, chopped – 50g
- Raw almonds – 50g
My favourite protein powder is one that is unflavoured, and contains no artificial sweeteners. This is a great option. However if you are an athlete competing in tested comps, you will want a protein powder that has undergone 3rd party testing, like this one
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line a brownie tin with baking paper
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT for the chocolate + almonds in a high-powered blender. Blend until the mixture isn’t getting any smoother.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate + almonds
- Pour into the brownie tin and smooth with the back of a spatula to ensure you have a level mixture
- Cook for 10 mins (seriously, don’t cook it longer. Okay maybe 12 mins)
- Cut into 10-12 bars and store in the fridge for up to a week, or individually wrapped in foil and freeze
Talk to your sports dietitian about how many slices you should be chopping it into for your needs, but broadly for those wanting muscle gain – cut into 6 (providing 20g protein); for those wanting to kick of recovery or simply a tasty snack, cut into 12 bars.
6 bars: 361 cals, 22.6g protein, 17.6g fat (4.5g sat fat), 25g carb, 6g fibre