!! Warning !! If you find pepper a bit spicy, then tone down the mixed-spice or leave it out completely. These are ideal kept in the freezer as a pre-training snack (recipe makes 12 bars, but I’d halve that to suffice for most people as a pre-training snack) or have the full bar as a snack when you are sick of having fruit and yoghurt (again…)
Makes 12 bars (or 24 pre-training squares)
- ¾ cup wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ heaping cup dried apricots, chopped
- ½ heaping cup dates, chopped
- 3 Tbsp honey, dissolved in ½ cup hot water
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp macadamia oil
- 2 whole eggs, whisked
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C, and line a brownie tin (20x30cm) with baking paper
- Sift flours, baking powder and spices in a large bowl, then add oats, seeds and dried fruit and combine.
- In a separate heat-proof bowl, mix the honey with boiling water and stir to dissolve. Then add the tahini (at this point it will look quite disgusting – don’t worry, that is normal, just stir it up) and finally add the oil to this mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk your eggs.
- Now pour the honey mix and eggs to your dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour this thick batter into your prepared pan and bake 15-20minutes, or until golden. Err on the side of undercooking as the wholemeal flours lend the mixture to being dry when overcooked.
- Once cooled, cut into 12 bars is using as snacks, or 24 squares if pre-training snacks. Store in a cool dry place in an airtight container for up to 1 week, otherwise, wrap your bars and store in the freezer.
1 bar = 202cals, 5.6g protein, 9g fat, 23g carb