Without-a-doubt raw slice? Yep, that’s right. This slice is, without-a-doubt, the most delicious and nutritious raw food creation from my kitchen to date. There is NO coconut oil (I’m rather anti-coconut oil these days given it’s complete lack of health PROMOTING attributes), a plethora of different nuts, and spices – the forgotten flavour-maker to most raw-food bars. Snore no more with date + almond combos! Instead, get this one in your blender!
INGREDIENTS (makes 16-24 pieces)
- 1½ cups walnuts (180g)
- ½ cup cashews (75g)
- ½ cup Brazil nuts (85g)
- 1 Tbsp nut butter (20g, macadamia nut butter or ABC work well)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (65g)
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- ½ cup Medjool dates, pitted (5-6 large)
- 5 Tbsp cacao/cocoa powder (35g)
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 pinches fine grain sea salt
NB. If you don’t have the exact amounts of nuts – it doesn’t matter; e.g. in my most recent batch I used 150g walnuts + 30g pecans to make up the balance
- Prepare a brownie tin by lining it with baking paper
- Add all nuts to a high-speed blender, blitz til you get a rough gravel-texture
- Add coconut, dates, cacao, EVOO, spices, vanilla and salt (i.e. all remaining ingredients). Blitz again, to again create a rough gravel texture.
- Press your mixture into the brownie tin, press down firmly with a spatula. Set in the freezer, cut into pieces after a few hours. Given we have used EVOO over coconut oil, best to store it in the freezer too.
- 1 piece when cut into 16 pieces = 228cal, 4.4g protein, 18.9g fat, 10g carbs
- 1 piece when cut into 20 pieces = 182cal, 3.5g protein, 15.1g fat, 8g carbs
- 1 piece when cut into 24 pieces = 152cal, 3.0g protein, 12.6g fat, 6.9g carbs